I think everyone sometimes asks this question of themselves. Especially if we are unsure of the answer. When you realize how complex our universe is, don’t you wonder? It is fascinating that the earth spins on just the exact right axis necessary to keep us from falling off the planet. It amazes me that we are located the exact appropriate distance from the sun to ensure that beings can survive. If any of that changed, if we were 5 more miles away from the sun, if we weren’t tilted at just the right angle, we would cease to exist! Just thinking for a brief moment about our existence here, how it is that we can survive and live here, and why it is that we all exist at all is truly mind-blowing!
Luckily, many people have pondered this key question and have come to some incredible conclusions. As I am continuously searching for knowledge about my purpose here, and I wanted to share with you some of the resources that I found most valuable along my journey.
Is there a God?
I believe in God, I also believe that Jesus died and rose from the dead. I didn’t always believe these things. God kept reminding me, kept telling me that He was there loving me. But then I would forget. In fact, I once went through a whole year in total doubt. It wasn’t enough for me to say “There is nothing” and thus spend my whole life never searching for the truth. Never wondering. I couldn’t live like that. I’m a questioner. Whether there was nothing or something, I needed to know with absolute certainty.
So I did A LOT of soul-searching. I read every book I could about every religion in existence. I learned about the various Buddhist sects, the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), even native american and indigenous spirituality. I read historical documentation, scientific explanation, and mystical revelations. I watched debates between atheists and monotheists. I asked everyone I knew for their life experience, opinions and views. I read, prayed, demanded, and researched my way through an entire year looking for proof. I found it. I know it sounds crazy, but I found the proof I needed! And that has changed my life entirely.
I realize that this is not the same for everyone. Some people are perfectly content not knowing or even thinking about how we came to be here or why. Some people don’t feel the need to demand answers out of life. But if you are the type of person to question (as I am), if you won’t be satisfied with a life without worth or meaning, here are the resources I found to be the most helpful (in this order):
- Take: An Alpha Course near you and discuss your questions with others (these are AWESOME)
- Read: Letters from a Skeptic, The Reason for God
- Watch: The Campus Alpha Videos
- Listen: Timothy Keller Podcast The guy has every possible argument or question covered by topic!
If you already believe in God and want to further your knowledge and spiritual growth. Here are my favorite resources:
- Read: Start with the Book of John. Then read the rest of the new testament. Then the old!, Mere Christianity
- Listen: Timothy Keller Podcast, Gregory Boyd Podcast
- Website: GoTandem
- Blog: ReKnew
If you’ve gotten this far in my blog it’s because you demand more answers, just as I did. Here were some of my most perplexing challenges. If you can’t already tell, I really like Timothy Keller. The guy is just super intelligent and did all the research for you.
- Why is there evil? God Forsaken, Timothy Keller Podcast: Suffering: If God is Good, Why is There so Much Evil in the World?
- What is free-will? Is everything predestined or do I have a choice? Timothy Keller Podcast: Does God Control Everything?
- Doubt Timothy Keller Podcast: Doubt: What Should I Do With My Doubt?, Timothy Keller Podcast: Finding God
- Why did Jesus have to die for us? Timothy Keller Podcast: The Story of the Lamb
- Isn’t Religion Bad? Timothy Keller Podcast: Losing my Religion: Why Christians Should Drop Their Religion
I hope you enjoy these resources as much as I did!!Read More